04 April 2007

Scattering My Father's Ashes

Tomorrow my father’s remains will be scattered on a small field next to the crematorium in Almere. I can’t say I’m looking forward to it. My mother and my grandmother will be there and Martijn will come with me. I will also pick up the mini urn with a small part of my father’s ashes in it. I’ve been tense all week because of this. I know it will be over soon and I don’t think it will be very special or anything. I’m just not looking forward to going back to the crematorium and I’m not looking forward to getting very emotional again. If there’s time and the opportunity for it, I want to read this poem. It’s from the Lord of the Rings. My father really liked that book. It’s not one of the last poems about the Grey Havens, because those are too long. This one is about going to an inn after a long day, but I think it kind of applies to my father as well. It’s poetry, so you can stick any meaning to it if you like. I’ll let you know how things went, probably not tomorrow, but rather some other day. Please think of me around noon my time :-)

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Profile for charda